/ Practice areas
Competition Law & State Aid
STOICA & Asociații provides legal assistance and representation to clients – domestic and foreign companies from all major economic sectors – in structuring of mergers and acquisitions, joint-ventures, in order to ensure compliance with the Romanian and EU provisions regarding competition and state aid.
The lawyers from STOICA & Asociații have an extensive experience in merger antitrust proceedings, meaning they can manage the entire process from a business perspective, from the preparatory analysis to the completion of the transaction.
Investigation procedures of anti-competitive practices and litigations in connection with the annulment and suspension of sanctioning decisions
As regards the investigations carried out by the Competition Council in relation to alleged anti-competitive practices – horizontal and vertical anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant position – the lawyers from STOICA & Asociații provide legal assistance and representation of clients before the competent national competition authorities, as well as before courts of law, in litigations in connection with the annulment and suspension of the sanctioning decisions issued by the Competition Council.
Moreover, the STOICA & Asociații’s lawyers specialized in competition law provide legal assistance in matters involving economic concentrations, conduct competition audits and corporate compliance programs for mergers and acquisitions projects, joint-ventures, distribution structures, commercial agreements, pricing policies that raise competition law issues.
State aid procedures
The lawyers from STOICA & Asociații render advice in relation to state aid notifications for Competition Council clearance and represent the clients during investigations on state aid abuse carried out by the competition authority.
- Assisting and representing a major aluminium producer with respect to the investigation carried out by the Competition Council and the European Commission regarding a state aid granted before the EU accession of Romania, as well as the existence of an anticompetitive understanding between the client and a major producer of electric energy
- Representing a subsidiary of an important European electronic communication provider in a commercial litigation against the shareholders of a former business partner
- Representation of a subsidiary of an important European electronic communication provider in two litigation regarding the cancellation and suspension of a Competition Council decision having as object an alleged abuse of dominant position
- Assisting and representing different local IT, household appliances and electric tools product sellers and distributors with respect to both the investigation of the Competition Council and the court claims regarding a potential anticompetitive agreement concluded by the entities involved in the waste management of electronic equipment
- Assisting and representing a major player in the proceedings before the Competition Council and in annulment proceedings before the courts related to, inter alia, an alleged price-fixing cartel
- Assisting a major player on the market of oil and gas drilling services, in an investigation conducted by the Romanian Competition Council concerning an alleged infringement of article 5 of Competition Law 21/1996
- Legal aid and representation before the courts of a major telecom operator in a litigation having as object the illegality and suspension of the execution of a Competition Council's decision
- Legal assistance and representation of a major electronic communications infrastructure provider in connection with administrative and civil litigation disputes initiated by an electronic communications operatorclaiming allegedly abusive nature of the tariffs
- Assisting a major pharmaceutical producer in assuring that its incentive scheme is compliant to competition law
- Assisting and representing a major Romanian diary producer in connection with the investigation proceedings carried out against the company by the Competition Council for an alleged bid rigging case