„Experienced and respected litigation team assisting clients from the private and public sectors with cases relating to construction, environment and financial services. Possesses considerable experience in cases involving restructuring and insolvency, IP, tax and competition issues. Diverse client roster contains a range of prominent domestic and international companies from the life sciences, telecoms and metals sectors. Also active in international arbitration.”
STOICA & Asociaţii provides legal assistance and representation to clients – domestic and foreign companies from all economic sectors – in structuring of mergers and acquisitions, joint-ventures, in order to ensure compliance with the Romanian and EU provisions regarding competition and state aid.
Investigation procedures of anti-competitive practices and litigations in connection with the annulment and suspension of sanctioning decisions
As regards the investigations carried out by the Competition Council in relation to alleged anti-competitive practices – horizontal and vertical anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant position – the lawyers from STOICA & Asociaţii provide legal assistance and representation of clients before the competent national competition authorities, as well as before courts of law, in litigations in connection with the annulment and suspension of the sanctioning decisions issued by the Competition Council.
Moreover, the STOICA & Asociaţii’s lawyers specialized in competition law provide legal assistance in matters involving economic concentrations, conduct competition audits and corporate compliance programs for mergers and acquisitions projects, joint-ventures, distribution structures, commercial agreements, pricing policies that raise competition law issues.
State aid procedures
The lawyers from STOICA & Asociaţii render advice in relation to state aid notifications for Competition Council clearance and represent the clients during investigations on state aid abuse carried out by the competition authority.
Relevant experience [+]
- Assisting and representing a major Romanian diary producer in connection with the investigation proceedings carried out against the company by the Competition Council for an alleged bid rigging case;
- Assisting and representing before the Competition Council of a major investor in the telecommunications infrastructure in connection with a sectorial investigation;
- Assisting a major local mobile phone company in connection with the sanctioning of the company by the Competition Council for abuse of dominant position; the competition authority’s decision imposing a fine representing 3.60% from the turnover of year 2010 was annulled by the Bucharest Appeal Court;
- Assisting and representing major player from the EEE market in the proceedings before the Competition Council related to, inter alia, an alleged price-fixing cartel;
- Assisting a major player on the market of heating systems in an investigation regarding the potentially anticompetitive effects of the agreements concluded with its distributors in Romania;
- Assisting a major wash machine producer with respect to the notification of the economic concentrations to the Competition Council, consisting in various acquisitions of the major operators on the home appliances market;
- Assisting and representing a professional organization in respect with the annulment of the decision issued by the Competition Council imposing a significant fine, representing 9.2% from the total earnings made by the organization in 2009, in connection with an alleged fixing of tariffs;
- Assisting and representing a major local bank with regard to the challenging procedure of a fine imposed for delaying of an unexpected inspection (down-raid);
- Assisting and representing a major Romanian aluminium producer in connection with the investigation carried out by the Romanian competition Council and the European Commission regarding a state aid granted before the EU accession of Romania;
- Assisting a Swiss outdoor company with respect to the notification for the authorization by the Competition Council of an economic concentration on the outdoor advertising market, following the acquisition of Romanian privately owned advertising companies;
- Assisting a confectionary producer with respect to the necessity of a clearance notification for a vertical understanding with its exclusive distributor in Romania on the sweets market;
- Assisting and representing multinational companies from pharmaceutical industry in connection with the investigations carried out for horizontal understandings, finalised with the closing of the investigations;
- Assisting and representing a multinational company from the food & beverage industry in investigations carried out in connection with price fixing/bid rigging cases;
- Assisting a medical equipment producer by providing ongoing competition law advice in the surveillance of the dominant position it holds on the Romanian medical equipment market.